Magnetic switches are electrical circuits that open or close in the presence of a magnetic field. These switches function without requiring physical contact with their actuator, thus protecting themselves against moisture, temperature, corrosion, and other environmental factors that negatively affect alternative switch designs. At MagneLink, we pride ourselves on providing innovative and reliable electrical solutions to our customers in a broad range of industries and applications.
Our magnetic switches are particularly useful for applications in the automotive industry, where they enhance energy efficiency and facilitate reliable and precise control within various component systems.
The energy efficiency, precision, and sensitivity of magnetic switches make them ideal for low-power applications, electronics, and sensors in increasingly computerized automotive systems. Below are just a few of the many benefits that magnetic switches offer over other switch designs.
- Low power usage. Magnetic reed switches are exceptionally energy-efficient and ideal for powering low-energy applications, ultimately reducing battery size requirements for ignition and other power-sensitive applications.
- Exceptional sensitivity. It only requires a weak magnetic field to activate the switch, which allows for outstanding precision compared with solid-state switches.
- Sensory systems. The sensitivity of magnetic reed switches makes them especially useful for sensors that must be relied upon in adverse conditions. With their non-contact operation, magnetically activated switches offer protection from dirt, moisture, oil, and ice that could otherwise interfere with switch operation when using other types of switch designs.
Automotive Applications for Magnetic Switches
Electromagnetic switches such as the reed switch, reeds sensor, and reed relay are critical for the efficient operation of a variety of automotive systems, including:
- Door state detection. Magnetic reed switches in the door jamb sense when the door is closed. The input signal provided by the switch is then monitored by other control systems in the vehicle.
- Ignition key detection. Magnetic reed sensors in the driver’s side seat or door handle detect when the key is in the ignition or the headlights are on. The triggered sensor activates an alarm when the door opens or when weight lifts from the seat, alerting the driver and preventing battery drain.
- Electric car chargers. In electric car chargers, reed switches sense when the vehicle gets plugged in and regulate voltage. The use of sensitive reed switches reduces the risk of unwanted or misdirected current flow.
- Early brake sensors. The reed switches below the brake pedal allow the brake lights to activate before the brakes engage, providing drivers behind the braking vehicle time to prepare before the lead vehicle begins slowing down.
- Sunroofs and car windows. Magnetic switches offer an energy-efficient means of opening and closing windows and sunroofs with the push of a button.
- Fuel system. Reed switches measure liquid levels in fuel tanks and activate when exposed to a magnetic float that remains on the fuel’s surface. When the fuel level falls, the magnet approaches the switch, causing it to activate and warn the driver of low fuel levels.
- Transmission. Magnetic Hall effect switches offer greater control for large machinery, making them ideal for gear control in vehicle transmissions.
- Development and production. Magnetic reed and Hall effect sensors facilitate safety shutoffs, component stabilization, and measurement applications in various vehicle manufacturing settings.
Reliable Magnetic Switches by MagneLink
At MagneLink, we offer an extensive selection of magnetic switches, including Hall effect and reed sensors, to meet the needs of a broad range of automotive industry applications. From seat belt sensors and door switches to production line safety systems, we have the knowledge, equipment, and experience necessary to ensure that you have the perfect magnetic switch for your needs.
To learn more about our magnetic switches for automotive applications, contact our experts today.